This Hebrew month of Tevet is a month filled with the goodness of God.
God is a good God… He can’t help but pour out His goodness on us all the time! The word good, which in the Old Testament is the Hebrew word tov, is listed 562 times. Strong’s defines it as favorable, pleasant, festive (I like that one!), pleasing, well, better, right, best. Some of the translations in the KJV are beautiful, best, bountiful, at ease, joyful, prosperity, ready, wealth. In the New Testament the Greek word for good and goodness is “agathos” and is mentioned 101 times. It describes goodness as something that originates from God and is empowered by Him in our lives, through faith. Good originates from God… I really like that!
The Psalms mentions good in connection with these things….
- God… He is good!
- having life and adding to to that a long life
- God’s name
- His loving-kindness
- drawing near to God… is good and releases good into our lives
- increase… gotta love this one!
- giving thanks to God… again like #5 not only is it good but “thanks” is a releaser, releasing even more good into our lives!
- God’s judgements… it doesn’t say judgment is good, it says God’s judgements are good because He is good!
- God’s mercy
- God’s dealings with us ….I especially like this one!! .
- It is good to dwell in Unity…. ooh this one is really good, and our lives are good when we walk in unity… I did a study on this not too long ago….
- unity is:to be in tune or in sync with one another. All going the same way, headed in the same spiritual direction together.
- “to breathe” or “to breathe spiritually together”. Breathing together speaks of covenant relationship… becoming one (Jn 17:21).
- it is not based on likes and similarities… it is having one heart and one mind
12. God’s spirit
The Psalms also say….
- that to find goodness we are to look to God – because there is no good without Him
- that God sends blessings of goodness to us
- that He makes goodness follow us
- that we are to taste and see that God is good
- when we choose God we will lack no good thing in our lives
- God gives good things
Truly, life is good because God is good! Life is not supposed to be hard for us…. Prov 13:15 says that the way (or life) of the transgressor is hard (and continues that way). We are not transgressors, we are righteous… in covenant with God. Jeremiah 29:11 tells us He has good plans for us.. plans that give us a hope and a future. Psalm 23:6 tells us that goodness and covenant loyalty (God’s loyalty to His covenant toward us) follow (pursue us, chase us down) us ALL the days of our life. Psalm 103:5 says He satisfies (fills me to full) my life with good things.
That’s not to say that life is always sunshine and roses. Many in the Bible had circumstances in their lives that didn’t appear to be good… Joseph, David, Daniel, etc… but God’s goodness was still working in their lives in the midst of those circumstances… producing favor in these circumstances and using it to fulfill His destiny in their lives! The root word for tov is “tet-bet” which means preparing something to receive. God is always preparing us to receive more of His goodness…. preparing means to set us up or establish us. Good in Hebrew means working the way God created it to work.. functional, kind of like a well oiled and tuned machine….. whereas evil which is “ra” means dysfunctional. God is always at work in our lives setting us up and establishing us to receive even more goodness than He has already poured out on us and causing all things to work together for good (Rom 8:28) the way He designed and purposed (Eph 1:4, 2 Tim 1:9, and Eph 2:10 just to name a few) for us.
1 Chronicles 16:34 O give thanks to the Lord, for He is good…….Good in this scripture is called an absolute noun, meaning it follows another noun forming a single idea. Good is not an attribute of God. “Good” and God are one single thought. There is no “good” separated from God and then associated with Him. “Good” and God are the same thing…. good is who He is. He can’t be anything but good to you!
Today begin looking at your life as good… regardless of your circumstances. Begin confessing His goodness over your life today… saying….”My life is full of God’s goodness… it is pleasant, it is festive , it is truly the best! My life is beautiful, it is bountiful it is at ease and full of joy. My life is full of prosperity, wealth and abundance. My life is full of His good plans, full of hope and a future. His goodness is chasing me down and pursuing me. He is filling my life with good things. God is preparing me today to receive even MORE of His goodness. My life functions the way He designed and purposed it to function… there is no dysfunction in my life. Truly, my life is good because my God is good!